Friday, August 15, 2014

A tourist in Penang

The best thing about taking a career break is that you can really relax and enjoy your travels, even to familiar destinations that you've been countless times. That's what happened to me in Penang - where my parents have lived for almost 20 years.

Catching up with Selina Rogers at China House in Georgetown

It was such a treat to meet up with Selina Rogers, a BBGS classmate who now resides in Penang. We haven't seen each other since the mid '80s and when she offered to show me a side of Penang that I rarely get to experience, I jumped at the chance.  It was a welcome change to enjoy a dinner in the salubrious surroundings of China House, instead of the usual hawker stalls. Thanks so much for your hospitality, Selina!


We started at Armenian Street, which has become an iconic tourist destination thanks to the wall murals by Ernest Zacharevic, a Lithuanian artist who has captured the cheeky charm of local Penangites so well. "Little Children on a Bicycle" is a delightful art installation to be enjoyed by locals and tourists alike. 


There are so many interesting facades to the shops and clan houses in Georgetown, and I really should slow down to enjoy all that's on offer in my own backyard more often.

No comments: